Friday, May 28, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas - Culinary Delight

I love enchiladas! I love chicken enchiladas! I made up my very own recipe the other night. It came out so great I thought I'd share it with you (in case you love enchiladas like I do). Here you go: WARNING!! - Be sure you are wearing pants with an elastic waistband. This is not Fat Free or Calorie Free.

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees

INGREDIENTS:
One (1) roasted chicken (I bought mine at Price Chopper and you can also buy one at Costco or Sam's). I like these because they are slow roasted and are ALWAYS tender and always great. I can't make one this good and it saves a lot of time. You can buy them seasoned with lime or smoked, as well, if you want to shake up the flavor a bit.

2 cups sour cream - can use non-fat
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can green chilies (drained). I just learned you can buy these in different "hotness" - who knew? I'm  
        pretty sure these were pretty mild but suit your own taste.
Salt & Pepper to taste - I used a lot of course black pepper
Emeril's Southwest Seasoning - to taste - I used about 2 teaspoons or a little more
1 cup Monterey Jack/Colby cheese
2 cups Mexican style Pepperjack cheese (Kraft)
Flour Tortillas - 3 or 4, 10"

Large mixing bowl
9x12 baking dish (spray with Pam or grease lightly)

HOW TO:
Pull the skin off the chicken and then pull the meat off the bone - I used both white and dark meat. Tear meat into bite-size pieces. Put chicken & everything else, EXCEPT four tortillas and about 1/2 cup of the Pepperjack cheese, in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. You may want to mix the soup, sour cream and chilies/seasoning together before adding the cheese - it makes the mixing a little easier and more thorough.

Now, layer all of the ingredients in the baking dish. Start with a thin layer of the soup mixture and then one layer of Flour Tortillas. Repeat until you have used everything. End with the soup mixture. (I believe I only had two layers of the flour tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese (or however much you choose) over the top of the enchiladas and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes or so in a 350 degree oven. It is done when heated thoroughly and the cheese is gooey (technical term).

This recipe is Simple, Easy, Not Rocket-Science and Delicious.

Serve with tortilla chips, rice, beans, salsa, pico - whatever makes your mouth water and Enjoy!  Yum, these are really good. And, if anything is leftover, you can eat it for lunch the next day and it still will taste great. I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts...