Saturday, May 23, 2020

Leaning In...

I like the phrase "leaning in".  I have learned that the really good stuff happens when I "lean in". I can see better, hear better, touch better, smell better. And, since I'm mentioning the senses, I'm sure I can probably taste better too. However, I've not really thought about that one too much.

Our dogs sure believe that the best things in life happen when they fully lean in. Charles Walter (Charlie) and Augie are masters at leaning in, They are so good at it, It's a common thing for them to find my husband or me and lay their heads on our lap, or to press their 90lb. bodies fully against ours (while we are sitting or standing), or to tuck their heads, with gentle purpose, under our elbows. They each know they will get a good scratch behind their ear, they will receive a gentle touch on their face or a full-out gratifying scratch on their behinds or their bellies, I've noticed they lean in when they are unsure, they are unsettled or they are just a little lonely. Leaning in is what they know to do. We are the safe place for them and the people that satisfy their needs. This is also, simply,  how they love.  Oh, to have the gentle heart of a Doodle!






What about me? I lean in when I am unsure, when I am unsettled and when I am a little lonely. Leaning in makes me feel comforted, makes me feel safe, makes me feel happy and secure. However, in order to lean in, I have to have trustworthy people, thoughts and behaviors that will hold me secure.

I've learned the really important thing is to lean in to the right people that will bless my life with God's truth. These people make me stronger and are strength-bearers for my heart. Be discerning. Lean in to those who LIVE love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Oh, and, people with a happy heart are also to be included (had to add that one). These steadfast people in my life continually teach me how to clothe myself in these beautiful garbs of Christ. In this way I am able to lean back against them and offer these same blessings. The give and take of LOVE.

So, I pray you are brave enough to lean in to the beautiful people, life and love that makes a difference in your life. Lean in to your "safe" places and ask for God's abundant grace to envelope you in the good stuff, You will learn that what you receive is also what you learn to give.

P.S. Ironically, at this very moment the song "Lean on Me" is playing on my Spotify station. Isn't that the absolute BEST - this blog post is God ordained. I'm always amazed at His simple grace:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts...