Friday, January 8, 2010

who knew?

I was at the grocery store the other night - stocking up before the big snow storm hit. The store was full of people - mostly those stopping on their way home from work so they wouldn't have to get out again in the crummy weather. The lines were long and everyone looked a little anxious...to get what they needed, to get where they were going, to get home.

I was checking out and placing my food on the conveyor belt and I heard this little girl behind me whisper to her mom, "Wow, she eats really healthy." I was looking around to see who she was talking about when I realized - Ha! she was talking about me. Evidently she was looking over the stuff in my cart and decided it was healthy food. The funny thing is I was just thinking "Hmmm, how do I spend $100 on food and not get anything good to eat?" I remembered thinking that about the groceries my mom brought home when I was a kid, too.

I still don't know the answer. Maybe it is in the perception of what is good to eat and what is good for me - how often are they the same? However, the little girl was correct - I did have a cart full of healthy food. Trust me, it doesn't happen very often...

My husband has enlightened my life with a thought he shared with me years ago - You can't fill your life with the right things when you have the space filled with things that are wrong. I've been thinking about this lately. It doesn't just apply to relationships, it applies to all areas of my life - my physical body, my family, my friendships, my job, my home and my spiritual life.

One of the things I am committed to trying is to fill my life with good things - things that are good for me -things like good food, good thoughts, a good relationship with God, good friendships, good times with family and good relationships with those I love. I want to indulge myself with things that are good and edifying so I will be healthy - physically, mentally and spiritually. It is harder than it seems and a commitment I pray I can keep.

I would love for people to look at the shopping cart of my life and whisper to themselves - "Wow, she eats really healthy, I'd like to eat healthy, too".

New things - I've discovered my list of "new things" seems to be ever growing. As a start, this week I've cooked at home more often than eating out. I've tried several new recipes with rave results and, tomorrow, I am starting a new activity - Project 365 - taking a photo a day - I have to take nine photos tomorrow, though, to catch up:) I'm on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts...